Sweet-Sour Red Cabbage Side Dish
Vinegar and cherry juice give this colorful and crunchy side dish it's sweet-tartness.
8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 1 medium head red cabbage, shredded
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 medium apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons maraschino cherry juice, optional
- In a large skillet, saute cabbage and onion in oil for 5-8 minutes or
- until crisp-tender. Add the apples, vinegar, salt, pepper and cherry
- juice if desired. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for
- 25 minutes or until cabbage is tender. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 2/3 cup (calculated without cherry juice) equals 112 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 160 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat, 1/2 fruit.