For fix-it-and-forget-it convenience on busy weekdays, Lisa Stepanski pops frozen meatballs in the slow cooker before leaving her house in Munnsville, New York. Hours later, she comes home to the heartwarming aroma of this Asian-style specialty all ready to serve! How great is that?
2 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 5 hours
- 16 frozen fully cooked homestyle meatballs (1/2 ounce each) , thawed
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 medium green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 can (8 ounces) pineapple chunks, undrained
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- Place meatballs in a 1-1/2-qt. slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine
- the sugar, cornstarch, vinegar and soy sauce; pour over meatballs.
- Add green pepper. Cover and cook on low for 4-1/2 hours.
- Stir in pineapple; cover and cook 30 minutes longer. Serve with rice
- if desired. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (calculated without rice) equals 794 calories, 29 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 186 mg cholesterol, 582 mg sodium, 94 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 39 g protein.