Sweet-Sour Kidney Beans Recipe
- 1 can (8 ounces) unsweetened pineapple chunks
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 medium onion, cut into wedges
- 1 large green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 medium sweet red pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup sliced carrot
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium tomato, cut into 1-inch cubes
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- 1. Drain pineapple, reserving juice. Set pineapple aside. In a bowl, combine the brown sugar, cornstarch and ginger. Add enough water to reserved juice to measure 1/2 cup; stir into cornstarch mixture until smooth. Add vinegar and soy sauce; set aside.
- 2. In a large nonstick skillet or wok coated with cooking spray, stir-fry the onion, peppers and carrot until crisp-tender. Add garlic; stir-fry 1 minute longer. Add the beans, tomato and reserved pineapple. Cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until heated through. stir soy sauce mixture and add to bean mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with rice if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
1-1/4 cup: 336 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 688mg sodium, 70g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 14g fiber), 16g protein.
Reviews for Sweet-Sour Kidney Beans
"This is one of the best bean recipes I have ever eaten. My husband asked me to make it again so it is off to the store for ingredients. Excellent and easy to make. :)"