Sweet-Sour Ham Balls Recipe
Pineapple, brown sugar and mustard combine to create a tangy sauce for these savory ham and pork appetizers. "I like to keep a batch on hand for card parties and other occasions," writes Dorothy Pritchett, Wills Point, Texas.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min. YIELD:10 servings
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1-1/2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 2 pounds ground ham
- 1 pound ground pork
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup prepared mustard
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, onion and bread crumbs. Crumble meat over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-1/2-in. balls. Place in two greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dishes.
- 2. In a blender, combine the pineapple, brown sugar, mustard and vinegar; cover and process until smooth. Pour over ham balls. Transfer to freezer bags; seal and freeze. Or, bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°, basting occasionally with sauce.
- 3. To use frozen ham balls: Completely thaw uncooked ham balls with sauce in the refrigerator. Bake as directed in recipe. Yield: 2 batches (about 30 ham balls each).
3 ham balls equals 482 calories, 26 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 166 mg cholesterol, 1,326 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 29 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC