Sweet-Sour Ham Balls Recipe
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1-1/2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 2 pounds ground ham
- 1 pound ground pork
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup prepared mustard
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, onion and bread crumbs. Crumble meat over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-1/2-in. balls. Place in two greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dishes.
- In a blender, combine the pineapple, brown sugar, mustard and vinegar; cover and process until smooth. Pour over ham balls. Transfer to freezer bags; seal and freeze. Or, bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°, basting occasionally with sauce.
- To use frozen ham balls: Completely thaw uncooked ham balls with sauce in the refrigerator. Bake as directed in recipe. Yield: 2 batches (about 30 ham balls each).
Reviews for Sweet-Sour Ham Balls
Sort By :
"These are excellent. Every time I have made them I get compliments. I mixed the meat by hand, used dry breadcrumbs and added an extra egg. I use an ice cream scoop to form the balls. I cook for 30, drain the grease THEN add the sauce to baste the last 20."
"I have made this recipe multiple times and have never had a problem with it! They have always turned out juicy and delicious for me."
"I'm not sure what happened for the others who've made these. I've been asked for the recipe whenever I've made them. I make main dish serving sized balls and instead of blending the pineapple together with other sauce ingredients, I leave it chunky and pour it over the balls. I also add a generous dash of ground cloves to the sauce."
"These were terrible! Did not brown like picture or taste good at all! Very disappointed!"
"This was the worst garbage recipe I ever tried to cook. The recipe was so bad I had to throw the whole pan of cooked meatballs out.This was not for human consumption. I wasted good money to have my butcher grind the ham and pork together for me. The meat cost almost $10.00 alone and then the other ingredients were costly.I am a GOOD COOK and followed this recipe to a tee and it was absolute hunks of junk and the smell was sickening.Don't waste your good money trying to make this mess it is the worst I have even seen."