Sweet-Sour Green Beans
This is a recipe my mother served to family and friends–it has a very nice blend of sweet and sour flavors. I often take this dish to picnics and church dinners as it can be served warm or cold...delicious either way.—Claire Moser, Middletown, Maryland
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 2 cups cut fresh green beans (2-inch pieces)
- 2 bacon strips, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 4 teaspoons brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons cider vinegar
- Place green beans in a small saucepan and cover with water. Bring to
- a boil; cook, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until
- crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels. Drain,
- reserving 2 teaspoons drippings; saute onion in the drippings until
- tender. Stir in brown sugar and vinegar; heat through. Drain beans
- and place in a bowl; stir in onion mixture. Top with bacon. Yield: 2