Sweet-Sour Citrus Salad Recipe
- 1 large pink grapefruit, peeled and sectioned
- 1 large navel orange, peeled and sectioned
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 large sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1 small red onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 2 teaspoons grated onion
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 4 cups torn salad greens
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the grapefruit and orange sections; sprinkle with sugar. Add red pepper and red onion.
- 2. In a blender, combine the honey, vinegar, poppy seeds, grated onion, lemon juice, salt, mustard and lemon peel; cover and process until blended. Pour over fruit mixture and toss to coat.
- 3. In a large serving bowl, toss the greens, mushrooms and fruit mixture. Yield: 6 servings.
One serving (1 cup) equals 132 calories, 2 g fat (0.55 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 404 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 vegetable, 1-1/2 fruit.