- 1 medium green pepper, cut into chunks
- 1 large onion, cut into wedges
- 1 to 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1/2 cup pancake syrup
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 can (8 ounces) pineapple chunks
- 2 to 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 20 pieces breaded chicken nuggets, thawed
- Hot cooked rice
- In a large skillet, saute green pepper and onion in oil until crisp-tender; remove and keep warm. Add the broth, syrup, vinegar and soy sauce to the skillet; bring to a boil.
- Drain pineapple, reserving juice; set pineapple aside. Combine cornstarch and juice until smooth; gradually add to broth mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Add chicken nuggets; cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the pineapple and sauteed vegetables; heat through. Serve over rice. Yield: 4 servings.
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Sweet-Sour Chicken Nuggets
"After reading all the glowing reviews, I looked forward to making this with 2 of my grandchildren, ages 14 and 12. The recipe was easy enough for us to do together and used few ingredients. However, we felt the pancake syrup added a rather strong maple flavor to the sauce."
"I'm reviewing this again three years after my first review! I have to eat gluten free these day so I hadn't made this in awhile. Aldi grocery store had gluten free nuggets today and I knew exactly what I wanted to make. Luckily I had all the pantry staples. Also know if you follow a gf diet soy sauce is a nono. You need to get San J tamari gf soy sauce. I also didn't sautee any veggies this time just added thawed stirfry veggies. It is still so yummy, I make this anytime I get gluten free nuggets- about a few times a year."
"Let me start by saying I don't usually like Asian food. I also don't usually buy chicken nuggets. I bought an Angel food package(check out Angel Food Ministries online) this month with the nuggets in it so I was on the hunt for a different way to cook them. This is way better than any takeout you could get.I also count it as one of the best tasting meals I've made. There was no obvious syrup flavor but I used real maple syrup. Yummy!"