- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1-1/3 cups cold water
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into chunks
- Drain pineapple, reserving juice. In a large saucepan, combine sugar, tomatoes, vinegar, onion, green pepper, soy sauce, ginger and pineapple. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine cornstarch and the reserved pineapple juice until smooth; add to tomato mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- For the batter, in a small bowl, combine the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and water until smooth.
- In a deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Dip chicken pieces in batter; drop into oil and fry about 3-5 minutes on each side or until golden brown and juices run clear. Serve immediately with sweet-sour sauce. Yield: 4 dozen appetizers.
Reviews for Sweet-Sour Chicken Dippers
"My family loves this recipe. I normally add teaspoon of salt and a tablespoon of soy sauce to the batter to give it a little more flavor. I also strain the sauce after it is made because my family doesn't like the chunks of vegetables in it. It is absolutely delicious!"
"Wonderful recipe. Tried in a frying pan and then a deep fryer and decided the only way to make these is using the deep fryer."
"excellent recipe that the whole family really enjoyed! Even the one who doesn't like tomatoes!"
"I have made this several times. The chicken batter is amazing! We've used the batter with shrimp as well with great results."
"Have made this twice to rave reviews. Sweet and sour sauce steals the show."
"great recipe! The batter is good. I wouldn't use a different sweet and sour sauce because this suace is the best I've tasted."
"This is my familiis absolute favorite! We use a different sweet and sour sauce but the batter is perfect!!! Yummilicous!!"
"Wow what a winner! I have 4 kids and they all loved it! Next time i will try making homemade fried rice with it."
"The dipping sauce is fantastic! I now whip up a batch of it instead of buying store-bought sweet and sour sauce."