Pasta lovers will savor this sweet and sour specialty over noodles. Chock-full of tender beef, sliced carrots, green pepper and onion, this stew-like sauce from Beth Husband of Billings, Montana is also a hit over rice.
- 2 pounds beef top round steak or boneless beef chuck roast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 2 cups pearl onions or 2 small onions, cut into wedges
- 1 large green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Hot cooked pasta
- In a large skillet, brown steak in oil; transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Add the next 10 ingredients; stir well.
- Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or until meat is tender. Thicken cooking liquid if desired. Serve with pasta. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Originally published as Sweet-Sour Beef in Quick Cooking July/August 2000, p53
Reviews for Sweet-Sour Beef
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review