- 2 pounds beef top round steak or boneless beef chuck roast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 2 cups pearl onions or 2 small onions, cut into wedges
- 1 large green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Hot cooked pasta
- In a large skillet, brown steak in oil; transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Add the next 10 ingredients; stir well.
- Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or until meat is tender. Thicken cooking liquid if desired. Serve with pasta. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Reviews for Sweet-Sour Beef
"I have been looking for this ! I found this recipe in the quick Cooking Magazine back in 2000, I have been a long time subscriber. My daughter always loved this. I have also been trying to use my molasses and thought of this recipe. SOOO lucky to find this after 14 some odd years. Love this website."
"Smelled too strong of molasses so I didn't think we were going to like it. But...we did like it, LOL. Didn't have the strong smell when warmed up."
"Served over white rice with sweet corn on the side. Perfect transition from summer into fall dish. Used up some molasses too!"
"Made this in the crockpot last night. Turned out better than expected. I'm feeding 2 men and myself and had barely any for leftovers. Double the recipe and servce on top of brown rice with steamed broccoli. I may add a little less of the molasses next go around, just because it was a hint too sweet. But overall, this is a very tasty and gluten free dish!"