Sweet-Sour Beans and Carrots
I love German food, so I tried out the recipe for this on my family and they really like it. I like to serve this side dish with German noodles and pork cutlets or a roast.Sherry DeHaann, Hays, Kansas
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 4 cups frozen cut green beans
- 4 bacon strips, diced
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 medium tart apples, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Place carrots in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a
- boil. Cook, uncovered, for 4 minutes. Stir in beans. Return to a
- boil. Cook mixture 5-6 minutes longer or until the beans and carrots
- are tender. Drain.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove
- to paper towels to drain. Saute onions in drippings until tender.
- add the apples, vinegar, sugar and salt; mix well. Cover and cook
- until apples are tender, about 2 minutes. Stir in the bean mixture;
- heat through. Sprinkle with bacon. Yield: 8 servings.