I love German food, so I tried out the recipe for this on my family and they really like it. I like to serve this side dish with German noodles and pork cutlets or a roast.—Sherry DeHaann, Hays, Kansas
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 4 cups frozen cut green beans
- 4 bacon strips, diced
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 medium tart apples, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Place carrots in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered, for 4 minutes. Stir in beans. Return to a boil. Cook mixture 5-6 minutes longer or until the beans and carrots are tender. Drain.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain. Saute onions in drippings until tender. add the apples, vinegar, sugar and salt; mix well. Cover and cook until apples are tender, about 2 minutes. Stir in the bean mixture; heat through. Sprinkle with bacon. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Sweet-Sour Beans and Carrots in Taste of Home February/March 2004, p18
Reviews for Sweet-Sour Beans and Carrots
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed May. 14, 2013
"Look fwd. to making this soon. Would make half as much since we're empty nesters. Sincerely, K."
Reviewed Aug. 25, 2011
"Once we tried this recipe, we've not eaten green beans any other way."