I love German food, so I tried out the recipe for this on my family and they really like it. I like to serve this side dish with German noodles and pork cutlets or a roast.—Sherry DeHaann, Hays, Kansas
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 4 cups frozen cut green beans
- 4 bacon strips, diced
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 medium tart apples, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Place carrots in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered, for 4 minutes. Stir in beans. Return to a boil. Cook mixture 5-6 minutes longer or until the beans and carrots are tender. Drain.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain. Saute onions in drippings until tender. add the apples, vinegar, sugar and salt; mix well. Cover and cook until apples are tender, about 2 minutes. Stir in the bean mixture; heat through. Sprinkle with bacon. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Sweet-Sour Beans and Carrots in Taste of Home February/March 2004, p18
Reviews for Sweet-Sour Beans and Carrots
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review