Sweet Shoppe Caramel Apples Recipe
My hand-dipped apples are as beautiful as the ones you’ll find at fancy candy counters, only they’re fresher, better-tasting and more economical. Make some for Halloween or your next party.
- 6 large McIntosh apples
- 6 Popsicle sticks
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1-1/4 cups English toffee bits or almond brickle chips
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup white baking chips
- 1. Line a baking sheet with waxed paper and grease the paper; set aside. Wash and thoroughly dry apples. Insert a Popsicle stick into each; place on prepared pan. Chill.
- 2. In a heavy 3-qt. saucepan, combine the sugar, cream, corn syrup and butter; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook and stir until a candy thermometer reads 245°, about 1 hour.
- 3. Remove from the heat. Working quickly, dip each apple into hot caramel mixture to completely coat, then dip the bottom into toffee bits, about 1/2 in. up the sides. Return to baking sheet; chill.
- 4. In a microwave, melt chocolate chips; stir until smooth. Transfer to a small heavy-duty resealable plastic bag; cut a small hole in a corner of bag. Drizzle over apples.
- 5. Repeat with white chips. Chill until set. Remove from the refrigerator 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 1,331 calories, 58 g fat (32 g saturated fat), 103 mg cholesterol, 573 mg sodium, 208 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC