Our Test Kitchen found their inspiration across the pond! This slow cooker version of a traditional French dish called cassoulet is sweet, saucy and chock-full of beans, smoked sausage and vegetables.
Recommended: 51 Cozy Slow Cooker Soups
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced carrot
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup frozen lima beans, thawed
- 1 cup frozen cut green beans, thawed
- 1/2 pound smoked sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 3/4 cup baked beans
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon prepared mustard
- In a 1-1/2-qt. slow cooker, layer the carrot, onion, lima beans, green beans, sausage and baked beans. In a small bowl, combine the ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar and mustard; pour over beans. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or until vegetables are tender. Stir before serving. Yield: 3 servings.
Originally published as Sweet Sausage 'n' Beans in Cooking for 2 Spring 2009 , p8
Reviews for Sweet Sausage 'n' Beans for 3
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 27, 2010
"The flavor was wonderful and so easy to make. I would cut down on the cooking time though. I used no salt ketchup to cut down on the sodium. I would also like to see a little bit more liquid."