Sweet Rye Bread Recipe
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 3-1/3 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup dark corn syrup
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups rye flour
- 9 to 10 cups all-purpose flour
- Melted butter
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 2 cups water; let stand for 15 minutes. Add milk, butter, sugar, corn syrup, molasses, salt and remaining water. Stir in rye flour. Gradually add enough all-purpose flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down. Shape into four loaves; place in a greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour. Bake at 325° for 40-45 minutes. Remove from pans to cool on wire racks. Brush with melted butter. Yield: 4 loaves.
1 slice: 115 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 77mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein .
Reviews for Sweet Rye Bread
"This bread had a great taste to it even though I had to use light corn syrup instead of dark because I had no dark on hand. I also used 4 cups of rye flour and then just cut back on white flour. It was very tasty."