- 4 cups Riesling or other sweet white wine
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 fresh rosemary sprigs
- 5 cups chopped peeled ripe pears
- Vanilla ice cream, optional
- In a large saucepan, bring the wine, sugar and rosemary to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20-30 minutes or until flavors are blended.
- Discard rosemary sprigs. Add pears to saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 4-6 minutes or until tender. Remove pears with a slotted spoon; keep warm.
- Bring liquid to a boil; cook and stir for 15-20 minutes or until reduced and amber-colored. Remove from the heat; stir in pears. Serve over ice cream if desired. Yield: 4 cups.
Originally published as Sweet Riesling Pears in Country Woman October/November 2008, p32
Reviews for Sweet Riesling Pears
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 22, 2013
"These pears are wonderful! I like to serve them over my grandma's pound cake with ice cream...yum! Since it's just my husband and me, I freeze the cooked pears in 2-cup containers so we can enjoy them throughout the year."