Sweet Rhubarb Crisp
This versatile dessert is great served plain for breakfast, or as an after-dinner treat with ice cream. Either way, the flavor is terrific and seconds are tempting!
9 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 1 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 2 cups packed brown sugar, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- In a bowl, combine flour, oats, 1 cup brown sugar, salt, cinnamon and
- butter. Pat about half of mixture onto the bottom of a greased 9-in.
- square baking pan. In a saucepan, combine cornstarch and remaining
- brown sugar; stir in water. Cook and stir until mixture comes to a
- boil and is thickened and clear. Remove from the heat; stir in
- vanilla. Add rhubarb and toss until coated. Spoon over crust;
- sprinkle with reserved flour mixture. Bake at 350° for 50
- minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 9 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 368 calories, 11 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 27 mg cholesterol, 190 mg sodium, 67 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.