Sweet Rhubarb Crisp Recipe
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 2 cups packed brown sugar, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1. In a bowl, combine flour, oats, 1 cup brown sugar, salt, cinnamon and butter. Pat about half of mixture onto the bottom of a greased 9-in. square baking pan. In a saucepan, combine cornstarch and remaining brown sugar; stir in water. Cook and stir until mixture comes to a boil and is thickened and clear. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Add rhubarb and toss until coated. Spoon over crust; sprinkle with reserved flour mixture. Bake at 350° for 50 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 9 servings.
1 cup: 368 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 190mg sodium, 67g carbohydrate (49g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein
Reviews for Sweet Rhubarb Crisp
"If you like a little rhubarb with a great deal of sugar, you will like this recipe. I would suggest cutting sugar in half."
"Whoa!.....this recipe is very sweet. Unfortunately, all I could taste was sweet, sweet, sweet. The sweetness overwhelmed any gentle hint of tartness from the rhubarb, unfortunately. The topping and rhubarb batter turned into a sticky, toffee-like texture, very difficult and hard to remove from the pan. I had to virtually scrape and dig the crisp out of the pan, hoping I wasn't going to break my knife. This recipe did not have the blend of sweetness and tartness that I usually expect from a rhubarb recipe. I prefer a fruit crisp to have a nice, golden loose topping that does not overwhelm the taste of the fruit being used in the recipe. This recipe did not meet my expectations, so I will not make it again."
"My son loved this dessert!! It was fast, easy and yummy!! A dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream would make it extra special."
"Coming from someone who doesn't like rhubarb, it is very good! My husband made this recipe. It's a lot better than rhubarb pie! The little bit of sweet in the topping cuts the tartness of the rhubarb. We all liked it. So, he's making it again tonight!"
"My family loved it!! Sweet with a wonderful tartness to it!"
"My husband told me this was the best rhubarb crisp he's ever had! I'm definitely keeping this one handy and will make it again when my rhubarb is ready - delicious!"
"Wonderful!!!! Made this for a pot luck that my husband's work was having. As soon as he got home, I had to fill his request for copies of the recipe."
"we truley enjoyed this recipe, like it better than rhubarb pie"
"I make this similar receipe and it is very good only i put the rhubarb untop of the dry mixture and than put the cooked mixture followed by the rest of the crumbs"