This versatile dessert is great served plain for breakfast, or as an after-dinner treat with ice cream. Either way, the flavor is terrific and seconds are tempting!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 2 cups packed brown sugar, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- In a bowl, combine flour, oats, 1 cup brown sugar, salt, cinnamon and butter. Pat about half of mixture onto the bottom of a greased 9-in. square baking pan. In a saucepan, combine cornstarch and remaining brown sugar; stir in water. Cook and stir until mixture comes to a boil and is thickened and clear. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Add rhubarb and toss until coated. Spoon over crust; sprinkle with reserved flour mixture. Bake at 350° for 50 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Rhubarb Crisp in Bountiful Harvest Cookbook 1994, p93
Reviews for Sweet Rhubarb Crisp
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review