Sweet Red Pepper Salad
The garlic, oregano and olive oil give this salad a taste that's as bold as its color. We've eaten it as a side dish or piled high on garlic toast as an appetizer or snack. Cookie Curci, San Jose, California
6 ServingsPrep: 25 min. + chilling
- 6 medium sweet red peppers
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Lettuce leaves, optional
- Place whole peppers on a broiler pan; broil 4 in. from the heat until
- skins blister, about 2-3 minutes. With tongs, rotate peppers
- slightly. Continue broiling and rotating until all sides are
- blistered and blackened.
- Immediately place peppers in a brown paper bag. Close bag and let
- stand for 15-20 minutes. Peel off the charred skin and discard.
- Remove stem and seeds. Cut peppers into 1/4-in. wide strips.
- In a large bowl, whisk the oil, parsley, garlic, oregano and salt.
- Add peppers; toss to coat. Cover and chill for 3-4 hours. Serve on
- lettuce if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 194 calories, 18 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 102 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 1 g protein.