Sweet Potatoes with Apples Recipe
This satisfying dish is very welcome at any meal at our house, especially on holidays. The tart apple slices taste so good baked on top of the mild sweet potatoes. —Jean Winfree, Wausau, Wisconsin
- 3 to 3-1/2 pounds sweet potatoes
- 2 tart apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1/4-inch rings
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1. Place sweet potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 30 minutes or until just tender. Drain and cool slightly. Peel and cut into 1/4-in. slices.
- 2. In a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish, alternately layer potatoes and apples. Pour orange juice over top. Combine the brown sugar, ginger and cinnamon; sprinkle over potatoes and apples. Dot with butter.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-45 minutes or until apples are tender. Yield: 8 servings.
1 cup equals 225 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 106 mg sodium, 48 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC