Sweet Potatoes and Apples Recipe
This recipe is very easy and creates a very delicious side dish. The sweet potatoes and apples compliment each other well. —Marty Rummel, Trout Lake, Washington
- 5 medium sweet potatoes
- 5 medium tart apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1. Place sweet potatoes in a Dutch oven and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 20 minutes or just until tender.
- 2. Drain sweet potatoes and cool slightly. Peel and cut into 1/4-in. slices. In a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish, layer half of the apples and sweet potatoes. Repeat layers.
- 3. In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, water and lemon juice until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in the butter, cinnamon and salt. Pour over sweet potatoes and apples.
- 4. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer or until apples are tender. Yield: 12 servings.
3/4 cup equals 143 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 56 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat, 1/2 fruit.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC