Sweet Potatoes and Apples Recipe
- 5 medium sweet potatoes
- 5 medium tart apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1. Place sweet potatoes in a Dutch oven and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 20 minutes or just until tender.
- 2. Drain sweet potatoes and cool slightly. Peel and cut into 1/4-in. slices. In a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish, layer half of the apples and sweet potatoes. Repeat layers.
- 3. In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, water and lemon juice until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in the butter, cinnamon and salt. Pour over sweet potatoes and apples.
- 4. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer or until apples are tender. Yield: 12 servings.
3/4 cup: 143 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 56mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 2g fiber), 1g protein Diabetic Exchanges:1 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1 fat
Reviews for Sweet Potatoes and Apples
"We are trying to eliminate salt from our diet and this recipe tastes great without any added salt"
"It needs more cinnamon for sure. Otherwise it was very good."
"I made this last night to go with barbecued spareribs. It was so easy and tasted fantastic with the ribs -- my husband quickly declared it a "keeper"!"
"I make this recipe often. Delicious and so good for you, too."
"LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS RECIPE!! I added whole pecans...SO delicious!!!"
"very good, must hand slice the sweet potatoes, excellent flavor, and smells awesome when cooking"
"I make something similar only I use apple pie filling and pour over the sweet potatoes and add ground cloves, cinnamon and brown sugar. I love sweet potatoes and apples."
"Simple, easy, healthy and tastes wonderful- what more can you ask for! I added cut up acorn squash and my company loved it. Will be making this a lot over the winter months."
"We peel sweet potatoes and slice them. Add sliced granny smith apples, a handful of dried cranberries, dot with butter and sprinkle with brown sugar. Wrap it all up in a foil packet and bake until tender. It tastes better and the red berries brighten up the dish."
"I've been making a variation on this for years. Two things: watch the juiciness of the apples, sometimes you need to add a little extra liquid or apple juice, and secondly, I have used brown sugar for a more mellow taste. Enjoy!"
"This is the best recipe for sweet potatoes I've ever had. Eveyone else at the table also enjoyed it. Will be making it again for the Holidays."
"This is a wonderful way to serve sweet potatoes. My husband really went for this. We had company come for dinner the other night and he wanted me to make this dish again so I did. It was delicious and a big hit with our company. He had to take seconds. Sandra Penley, Sweet Home, TX"