- 5 medium sweet potatoes
- 5 medium tart apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Place sweet potatoes in a Dutch oven and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 20 minutes or just until tender.
- Drain sweet potatoes and cool slightly. Peel and cut into 1/4-in. slices. In a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish, layer half of the apples and sweet potatoes. Repeat layers.
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, water and lemon juice until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in the butter, cinnamon and salt. Pour over sweet potatoes and apples.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer or until apples are tender. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Sweet Potatoes and Apples
"We are trying to eliminate salt from our diet and this recipe tastes great without any added salt"
"It needs more cinnamon for sure. Otherwise it was very good."
"I made this last night to go with barbecued spareribs. It was so easy and tasted fantastic with the ribs -- my husband quickly declared it a "keeper"!"
"I make this recipe often. Delicious and so good for you, too."
"LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS RECIPE!! I added whole pecans...SO delicious!!!"