- 5 medium sweet potatoes
- 5 medium tart apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Place sweet potatoes in a Dutch oven and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 20 minutes or just until tender.
- Drain sweet potatoes and cool slightly. Peel and cut into 1/4-in. slices. In a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish, layer half of the apples and sweet potatoes. Repeat layers.
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, water and lemon juice until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in the butter, cinnamon and salt. Pour over sweet potatoes and apples.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer or until apples are tender. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Sweet Potatoes and Apples
Sort By :
We are trying to eliminate salt from our diet and this recipe tastes great without any added salt
It needs more cinnamon for sure. Otherwise it was very good.
I made this last night to go with barbecued spareribs. It was so easy and tasted fantastic with the ribs -- my husband quickly declared it a "keeper"!