Sweet Potato Yeast Rolls Recipe
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm fat-free milk (110° to 115°)
- 1 teaspoon plus 1/3 cup sugar, divided
- 1/3 cup cold mashed sweet potatoes
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons cold water
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. Add 1 teaspoon sugar; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the sweet potatoes, egg yolks, butter, salt, remaining sugar and 2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 30 balls. Roll each ball into a 10-in. rope; tie each rope into a loose knot. Place 2 in. apart on baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 4. In a small bowl, beat egg whites and cold water; brush over rolls. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake at 350° for 15-17 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from pans to cool on wire racks. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
1 each: 92 calories, 1g fat (1g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 76mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch.
Reviews for Sweet Potato Yeast Rolls
"I made these for a large family gathering. Instead of making the dough into twists, I made fifteen rolls out of it. They were beautiful to look at, soft, slightly sweet and delicious. I didn't brush them with the egg whites or use the sesame seeds, but buttered the tops when they came out of the oven. I will definitely make them again and so will members of my family."
"I didn't think the sweet potato added much of anything to this bread... the rolls come out pretty but are a bit dry"