Sweet Potato Yeast Rolls Recipe
Mashed sweet potatoes add a hint of color and flavor to these home-baked dinner rolls. The tempting golden knots have a tender texture as well as a lovely look from a sprinkling of sesame seeds. —Test Kitchen
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm fat-free milk (110° to 115°)
- 1 teaspoon plus 1/3 cup sugar, divided
- 1/3 cup cold mashed sweet potatoes
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons cold water
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. Add 1 teaspoon sugar; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the sweet potatoes, egg yolks, butter, salt, remaining sugar and 2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 30 balls. Roll each ball into a 10-in. rope; tie each rope into a loose knot. Place 2 in. apart on baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 4. In a small bowl, beat egg whites and cold water; brush over rolls. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake at 350° for 15-17 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from pans to cool on wire racks. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
1 roll equals 92 calories, 1 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 16 mg cholesterol, 76 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1 starch.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC