Sweet Potato Yeast Bread Recipe
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1-3/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup mashed sweet potatoes (without added milk and butter)
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon butter, softened, divided
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 3-1/4 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- CREAM CHEESE NUT SPREAD:
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the sweet potatoes, 1/2 cup butter, honey, egg, salt and whole wheat flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Shape into loaves. Place in two greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 25 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown (cover loosely with foil if top browns too quickly). Remove from pans to wire racks. Melt remaining butter; brush over warm bread. Cool.
- 5. In a small bowl, beat butter and cream cheese until fluffy. Stir in walnuts. Serve with bread. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
1 slice: 225 calories, 13g fat (7g saturated fat), 38mg cholesterol, 263mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein .
Reviews for Sweet Potato Yeast Bread
"Great recipe! I added some cinnamon."
"Works perfectly following the recipe instructions. I added some ground flaxseed to add to it's nutritional value. The sweet potato flavor comes through just right and the bread tastes great fresh from the oven, as toast and as sandwiches. I have not made the butter spread as I am happy just eating the bread with whatever topping I choose. Great as a ham sandwich. Thanks for sharing!"
"This is a beautiful hearty bread that doesn't stick around long! Easy too!"