I came up with this recipe when I promised to bring a potato salad to a picnic but had no regular potatoes on hand. The sweet potatoes were there, so I revised by regular potato salad recipe and a new dish was born! Adding the apples was an extra touch and everybody loved it.
- 1 small sweet potato
- 1 medium apple, cubed
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons golden raisins
- 2 tablespoons miniature marshmallows
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- Leaf lettuce, optional
- Place the sweet potato in a small saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 20 minutes or just until tender. Drain and cool completely.
- Peel the potato and cut into cubes; place in a small bowl. Add the apple, celery, walnuts, raisins and marshmallows. In another bowl, combine the mayonnaise, sour cream and lemon juice; pour over salad and toss gently. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Serve on lettuce-lined plates if desired. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Sweet Potato Waldorf Salad in Reminisce December/January 2007, p49
Reviews for Sweet Potato Waldorf Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review