Sweet Potato Waffles Recipe
Cardamom and pecans really make the flavor of these special sweet potato waffles stand out. I make them when I have leftover sweet potatoes. —Mickey Turner, Grants Pass, Oregon
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Cook: 5 min./batch YIELD:5 servings
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 cup cold mashed sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- Maple syrup, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, cardamom and salt. In another bowl, whisk the egg yolks, sour cream, sweet potatoes, milk and butter; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in pecans.
- 2. In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into batter. Bake in a preheated waffle iron according to manufacturer's directions until golden brown. Serve with syrup. Yield: 10 waffles.
2 waffles equals 554 calories, 34 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 185 mg cholesterol, 507 mg sodium, 48 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 13 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC