Sweet Potato Waffles with Nut Topping Recipe
- 2 cups biscuit/baking mix
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 egg
- 1-1/3 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup canned sweet potatoes, mashed
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Dash salt
- Dash ground nutmeg
- Maple syrup
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the biscuit mix, brown sugar and spices. In another bowl, whisk the egg, milk, sweet potatoes, oil and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until combined.
- 2. Bake in a preheated waffle iron according to manufacturer’s directions until golden brown.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a small skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add pecans and walnuts. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add the brown sugar, water, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg. Cook and stir until sugar is dissolved. Serve waffles with topping and syrup. Yield: 12 waffles.
2 each: 457 calories, 28g fat (5g saturated fat), 44mg cholesterol, 598mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 3g fiber), 9g protein
Reviews for Sweet Potato Waffles with Nut Topping
"Love this recipe!!! We have beautiful - and overly bountiful - apple trees on our property and I peeled and cored, then chopped small and added on top of the waffles for an added zing. These waffles are also great served savory...I used this waffle recipe to serve chicken and waffles when my son and his friends came back home from college...BIG success!!"
"I can't wait to make them. Looks like a fall favorite. The canned pumpkin is a great idea too!"
"Canned sweet potatoes and bisquick? No thank you."
"I would just microwave a sweet potato and then use 1 cup in place of the canned kind."
"Does anyone have a "from scratch" recipe for these using fresh sweet potatoes?"
"These waffles were amazing! My whole family loved them!"
"I used canned pumpkin instead and I didn't make the topping. just served with syrup. Very light fluffy and yummy"
"I made this for dinner and it was a huge hit and another huge hit the next morning for breakfast!"
"Canned sweet potatoes are full of sugar. I microwaved a large, pealed sweet potato, mashed it and added as usual. 1 tsp Penzy's Apple Pie Spice and 1/4tps Penzy's Crystalized Ginger makes them zing!"
"question: How much swwet potato? a cup-or what size can??"
"I hate sweet potato , my husband made it for me and i cant believe how amazing these are now we make them all the time new family favourite"
"Since we don't have a waffle iron, I made these as pancakes. The flavor of these was great and the nut topping really adds something special."
"I made this over the weekend, and it was incredible! My kids had no clue there were sweet potatoes in it."