Beef broth and herbs pair nicely with the sweet potatoes' subtle sweetness in this hearty stew that's perfect for fall. — Helen Vail, Glenside, Pennsylvania
Recommended: 21 Healthy Fall Stews to Warm Up Cold Nights
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 3/4 pound lean ground beef
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup V8 juice
- 2 teaspoons golden raisins
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- In a large saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Crumble beef into broth. Cover and cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the remaining ingredients; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until meat is no longer pink and potatoes are tender. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Sweet Potato Stew in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook 1999, p130
Reviews for Sweet Potato Stew
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 20, 2011
"I had some sweet potatoes to use up and stumbled upon this recipe. I wasn't sure if the flavors would blend well, but I was pleasantly surprised at how good the stew tasted. I will definitely make this again!"