Sweet Potato Spinach Bake Recipe
This wonderful, bright meal-in-one from our Test Kitchen is filled with layers of flavor. Gouda cheese and bacon lend a rich, savory taste to the sweet potato and spinach combination.
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Gouda cheese
- 3 tablespoons crumbled cooked bacon
- 1. Place sweet potatoes in a 1-1/2-qt. microwave-safe dish; add water. Cover and microwave on high for 8-10 minutes or until tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Add spinach. Stir in flour and seasonings until blended. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat.
- 3. Drain sweet potatoes. Spread half of the spinach mixture into a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Top with half of the potatoes and cheese. Repeat layers. Sprinkle with bacon. Cover and bake at 375° for 10-15 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Sweet Potato Spinach Bake
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC