Sweet Potato Spinach Bake Recipe
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Gouda cheese
- 3 tablespoons crumbled cooked bacon
- 1. Place sweet potatoes in a 1-1/2-qt. microwave-safe dish; add water. Cover and microwave on high for 8-10 minutes or until tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Add spinach. Stir in flour and seasonings until blended. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat.
- 3. Drain sweet potatoes. Spread half of the spinach mixture into a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Top with half of the potatoes and cheese. Repeat layers. Sprinkle with bacon. Cover and bake at 375° for 10-15 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 4 servings.
1 each: 0 calories, 0g fat (0g saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 0mg sodium, 0g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 0g fiber), 0g protein
Reviews for Sweet Potato Spinach Bake
"Every time I make this recipe, my guests ask me for the recipe. It is really a great comfort food "side" or make it for breakfast and top it off with eggs (sunny side up or scrambled). Healthy alternative to plain baked potatoes. If you use smoked gouda cheese it makes this dish even better! Wonderful!!!"