Ginger and peanut butter give this dazzling orange soup a really unique flavor. It has a mild, not spicy, taste with an Asian flair. —Hilda Fallas, Bothell, Washington
Featured In: 43 Amazing Ways to Love Sweet Potatoes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 carton (32 ounces) plus 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 2/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 4 green onions, chopped
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion, red pepper and carrots in oil for 3 minutes. Stir in the ginger, garlic, cayenne and pepper; cook 2 minutes longer. Add the broth, tomatoes and sweet potato. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Cool slightly. In a blender, cover and process soup in batches until smooth. Return all to pan and heat through. Stir in peanut butter and honey. Cook and stir until peanut butter is melted. Garnish servings with green onions. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Originally published as Sweet Potato Soup in Taste of Home Winning Recipes 3 2012, p57
Reviews for Sweet Potato Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review