Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie Recipe
As a child, shepherd's pie was one of my favorites. But now, having cut white potatoes out of our diet, I experimented with sweet potatoes in this dish for two. The result is different, but just as yummy! —Tanya Marcketti, Golden, Colorado
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (8-3/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- Dash each ground cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Scrub and pierce sweet potato; place on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 10-12 minutes or until tender, turning once.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef and onion until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the corn, tomato sauce and spices. Place in a 1-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray; set aside.
- 3. When cool enough to handle, cut potato in half; scoop out the pulp and place in a small bowl. Mash with butter, milk, salt and pepper. Spread evenly over meat mixture.
- 4. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 2 servings.
1 serving (prepared with reduced-fat butter) equals 404 calories, 12 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 64 mg cholesterol, 900 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 27 g protein.
Reviews for Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC