Sweet Potato Scones Recipe
It’s a sure sign of autumn when Lily Julow whips up these tender, tasty treats for friends in Lawrenceville, Georgia. Served warm, they also make a delicious addition to any special breakfast or brunch, she notes.
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup cold butter
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup mashed sweet potatoes
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, salt and baking soda. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a small bowl, whisk the egg, sweet potatoes and buttermilk; add to dry ingredients just until moistened.
- 2. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; with lightly floured hands, knead dough 10-12 times. Pat into an 8-in. circle. Cut into eight wedges.
- 3. Separate wedges and place 1 in. apart on a baking sheet lightly coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 16-21 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Serve warm. Yield: 8 scones.
1 scone equals 278 calories, 9 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 47 mg cholesterol, 465 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 1-1/2 fat.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC