Sweet Potato Salad
You'll find that this dish is very versatilemore special than everyday but easy enough to make anytime.
Sweet potatoes aren't as popular here in New England as in some parts of the country. I had a friend from Maryland many years ago, however, and we enjoyed swapping recipes. This one's a combination of hers and one I already had in my file.
6 ServingsPrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 cup pineapple chunks, drained
- 1 cup pecans, broken
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- Prepared chutney
- Cook sweet potatoes until tender but firm. Peel and cut into chunks
- the size of the pineapple chunks. Gently toss potatoes, pineapple,
- nuts and orange juice.
- In a small bowl, combine all remaining ingredients except chutney.
- Pour dressing over potato mixture and gently toss. Chill salad
- several hours. To serve, arrange the salad on a bed of greens. Pass
- the chutney. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 498 calories, 43 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 16 mg cholesterol, 212 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 3 g protein.