Sweet Potato Salad
Skip the traditional sweet potato casserole and try this salad sensation instead. Writes Roberta freedman of Mesilla Park, New Mexico, "I really like this different treatment for sweet potatoesI first tasted something similar at a friend's house years ago. This was a favorite of our children during the holidays. Now it's our grandson's favorite, too."
8 ServingsPrep: 25 min. + chilling
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes (about 3 medium), peeled and cubed
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice, divided
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 cup fat-free mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- Place sweet potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water; bring
- to a boil. Reduce heat. Cover and cook for 9-10 minutes or until
- tender; drain and place in a bowl. Add 2 tablespoons lemon juice and
- toss. Add celery and oranges.
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, orange juice, honey, salt,
- ginger, nutmeg and remaining lemon juice. Pour over potato mixture
- and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Just
- before serving, stir in pecans. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (3/4 cup) equals 200 calories, 4 g fat (trace saturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 415 mg sodium,