You'll find that this dish is very versatile—more special than everyday but easy enough to make anytime. Sweet potatoes aren't as popular here in New England as in some parts of the country. I had a friend from Maryland many years ago, however, and we enjoyed swapping recipes. This one's a combination of hers and one I already had in my file.
Recommended: 43 Amazing Ways to Love Sweet Potatoes
- 2-1/4 pounds sweet potatoes (about 4 medium), peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 can (8 ounces) pineapple chunks, drained
- 1 cup pecan halves, chopped
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- Torn mixed salad greens and chutney, optional
- Place sweet potatoes in a 6-qt. stockpot; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, covered, 8-10 minutes or just until tender. Drain and place in a large bowl. Add pineapple, pecans and orange juice.
- In a small bowl, mix mayonnaise, cream, curry powder, orange peel, vinegar and tarragon; pour over potato mixture and gently toss to coat. Refrigerate, covered, until cold. If desired, serve with salad greens and chutney. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Sweet Potato Salad in Country Woman September/October 1990, p31
Reviews for Sweet Potato Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review