Sweet Potato Praline Pie Recipe
"I wanted to create a recipe that was similar to pumpkin pie, but had a new twist. The macadamia nuts are a family favorite and the praline topping is what makes this pie special and enjoyable." –Marie Rizzio, Interlochen, Michigan
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 2 Eggland's Best Eggs
- 2 cups mashed sweet potatoes
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 jar (3 ounces) macadamia nuts, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- Line a 9-in. pie plate with pastry. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, sweet potatoes, milk, sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, ginger, nutmeg and salt. Pour into pastry. Bake at 425° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 25 minutes longer.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring the brown sugar, corn syrup and butter to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla.
- Sprinkle nuts over pie; drizzle with caramel. Place a foil-lined baking sheet on a rack below the pie to catch any spills. Bake the pie 10-15 minutes longer or until caramel starts to bubble. Cover edges with foil to prevent overbrowning if necessary. Cool on a wire rack.
- Garnish pie with whipped cream. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Sweet Potato Praline Pie in Taste of Home December/January 2011, p99
Reviews for Sweet Potato Praline Pie(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Nov. 17, 2012
This was the best tasting sweet potato pie I've EVER eaten. I'm going to make this for Thanksgiving this year.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Cajun Recipes >
- Christmas Desserts >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Comfort Food Desserts >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Macadamia Recipes >
- Mardi Gras Desserts >
- Mardi Gras Recipes >
- Nut Recipes >
- Pecan Pie >
- Pie Baking >
- Pie Recipes >
- Sweet Potato Pie Recipes >