Sweet Potato Pound Cake Recipe
Since we are originally from Texas, we naturally love sweet potatoes, but this pound cake deserves to be a tradition in any home, whether you’re from the South, East, North or West. My Montana husband rancher loves it and I get great revues from ladies I’ve treated with it at various social events.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups cold mashed sweet potatoes
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 3 to 5 teaspoons orange juice
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and nutmeg; add to creamed mixture alternately with sweet potatoes. Beat just until combined (batter will be stiff).
- 2. Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 3. For glaze, in a small bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, orange peel and enough juice to achieve desired consistency. Drizzle over cake. Yield: 12 servings.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC