- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups cold mashed sweet potatoes
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 3 to 5 teaspoons orange juice
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and nutmeg; add to creamed mixture alternately with sweet potatoes. Beat just until combined (batter will be stiff).
- Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For glaze, in a small bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, orange peel and enough juice to achieve desired consistency. Drizzle over cake. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Sweet Potato Pound Cake
Sort By :
"I searched for a recipe for a long time, this sounded to easy to be true and taste good,well it's not good but GREAT!! I didn't put nutmeg in and still great."
"My husband requested a sweet potato cake for his birthday. I thought it was very moist and the orange glaze really complemented it."
"I made this cake for a friend earlier this month and it was delicious everyone loved it. I made a butter cream icing using the orange peel and juice but only icing the top of the cake."
"Very yummy pound cake. What a great way to use up leftover sweet potatoes. I made it without the glaze. Even though it's light on taste, it was moist and still very good. Just like a pound cake should be. I will definitely make it again... even Grandma, traditional home baker, enjoyed it!"
"I made this recipe for the first time today and god was it good and it can actually do without the glaze this recipe is a keeper"