This tender spice cake has flecks of sweet potatoes and is so moist that you can dig into it without any frosting. I, however, like a little dollop of sweetness. So, I add a bit of frosting directly on each warm slice. The frosting melts into the cake and it is fabulous. —Emma Chapman, Springfield, Missouri
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups mashed sweet potatoes
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- MARSHMALLOW FROSTING:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 jar (3-1/2 ounces) marshmallow creme
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in sweet potatoes and vanilla.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- Transfer to a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar. Beat in marshmallow creme and vanilla. Serve warm cake with a dollop of frosting. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Sweet Potato Pound Cake with Marshmallow Frosting in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2011, p141
Reviews for Sweet Potato Pound Cake with Marshmallow Frosting
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review