Sweet Potato Pork Skillet Recipe
- 4 bone-in pork loin chops (1 inch thick and 8 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple tidbits
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into chunks
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked instant rice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1. In a large skillet, brown pork chops in oil. Meanwhile, drain pineapple, reserving juice; set pineapple aside. In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, salt, cinnamon and 1/2 cup of the reserved juice; stir into skillet. Add sweet potatoes; toss to coat. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Add green pepper and pineapple; cover and cook for 10-15 or until potatoes are tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, cook rice according to package directions. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and remaining pineapple juice until smooth; add to the skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Serve with rice. Yield: 4 servings.
1 pork loin chop with 1-1/4 cups vegetables and 3/4 cup cooked rice equals 719 calories, 22 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 111 mg cholesterol, 392 mg sodium, 87 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 41 g protein.
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer