- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup evaporated milk
- 2 cups mashed sweet potatoes
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs; mix well. Add milk, sweet potatoes, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt; mix well. Pour into pie shell. Bake at 425° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 35-40 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool. Store in refrigerator. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews for Sweet Potato Pie
"Made this for the first time on Thanksgiving. It was amazing! I topped with a marshmallow meringue!"
"This turned out totally yummyI subbed nut milk, added fresh ginger and made a cookie crumb crust; everything else is as listed.While it baked, I was dubious because it sort of smelled like bubble gum, but once it cooled, it had a whole new aroma.Tasted great, slices beautifully. Topped mine with yogurt."
"It's really really Goooood!!!??????????"
"Substituted my leftover Thanksgiving sweet potatoes that already contained butter, brown sugar, allspice and melted marshmallows for the ones in the recipe. The result? Perfection! And nothing gone to waste!"
"For Sweet Potato pie newbies, or those who didn't care for this recipe, it isn't supposed to be as heavily spiced as pumpkin. Fresh sweet potatoes are better than canned "yams". Also, if you bake your potatoes instead of boiling, you won't have to worry as much about a soggy crust."
"I've made many sweet potato pies over the years and this is by far the best recipe I've ever used. I didn't change any ingredients. BTW you may need to increase your baking time depending on your altitude and your own oven. I increased baking time by ten minutes and it was perfect. If you are a novice pie crust maker, I'd suggest the Crisco pie crust recipe. It's my standby pie crust and super easy. Thank you for this great recipe."
"I've made 4 ot these, and they are prrfect. This recipe keeps the filling very light and it does not sink after baking. It is very good but be sure to bake your sweet potatoes until the sugar carmelizes, and let them sit overnight before removing the skin and pulping. This will make the pies taste super super good and sweet."
"Not the best recipe"
"Good recipe, going to make it.."