Sweet Potato Pancakes with Caramel Sauce Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 egg
- 1-3/4 cups 2% milk
- 1/2 cup canned sweet potatoes, mashed
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 jar (12 ounces) hot caramel ice cream topping, warmed
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped unsalted cashews, toasted
- Whipped butter, optional
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. In another bowl, whisk the egg, milk, sweet potatoes and melted butter. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- 2. Pour batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto a greased hot griddle; turn when bubbles form on top. Cook until the second side is golden brown.
- 3. Drizzle with caramel topping; sprinkle with nuts. Serve with whipped butter if desired. Yield: 7 servings.
2 pancakes with about 1 tablespoon sauce and 1 tablespoon cashews (calculated without whipped butter) equals 432 calories, 12 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 44 mg cholesterol, 583 mg sodium, 73 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 10 g protein.