Sometimes sweet potatoes end up as leftovers. It happens, but by happy chance, they go well in pancake batter and love to dance on a hot griddle. Topped with caramel sauce, butter and toasted cashews, they look nothing like yesterday's forgotten dish. Don't have leftovers? Use canned sweet potatoes. —Sheryl Little, Sherwood, Arkansas
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 egg
- 1-3/4 cups 2% milk
- 1/2 cup canned sweet potatoes, mashed
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 jar (12 ounces) hot caramel ice cream topping, warmed
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped unsalted cashews, toasted
- Whipped butter, optional
- In a small bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. In another bowl, whisk the egg, milk, sweet potatoes and melted butter. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Pour batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto a greased hot griddle; turn when bubbles form on top. Cook until the second side is golden brown.
- Drizzle with caramel topping; sprinkle with nuts. Serve with whipped butter if desired. Yield: 7 servings.
Originally published as Sweet Potato Pancakes with Caramel Sauce in Taste of Home February/March 2012, p79
Reviews for Sweet Potato Pancakes with Caramel Sauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review