Sweet Potato Orange Bread Recipe
This quick recipe from Dixie Burnham of Hernando, Florida makes two pleasantly spiced loaves - one to eat and one to share. Sweet potatoes lend nice color and moistness to the easy bread.
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup mashed sweet potatoes
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1. In a large bowl, combine eggs, oil, applesauce and vanilla. Stir in sweet potatoes and orange peel; mix well. Combine the flour, sugars, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and baking powder; stir into sweet potato mixture just until combined. Stir in nuts.
- 2. Pour into two greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 169 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 127 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC