Sweet Potato Minestrone
I don't cook as much now that our daughters are on their own. But when I do, this is the recipe I reach for.Helen Vail, Glenside, Pennsylvania
14 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 4 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium beef or vegetable broth
- 3 cups water
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 6 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 package (7 ounces) small pasta shells
- 2 cups frozen peas
- In a soup kettle, combine the broth, water, sweet potatoes, onion,
- garlic and Italian seasoning; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover
- and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Return to a boil. Add the cabbage, pasta and peas; cook for 8-10
- minutes or until the pasta and vegetables are tender. Yield: 14
- servings (about 3-1/2 quarts).
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup equals 127 calories, 1 g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 67 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 6 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1-1/2 starch.