Sweet Potato Minestrone Recipe
- 4 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium beef or vegetable broth
- 3 cups water
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 6 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 package (7 ounces) small pasta shells
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 1. In a soup kettle, combine the broth, water, sweet potatoes, onion, garlic and Italian seasoning; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- 2. Return to a boil. Add the cabbage, pasta and peas; cook for 8-10 minutes or until the pasta and vegetables are tender. Yield: 14 servings (about 3-1/2 quarts).
1 cup: 127 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 67mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 6g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch.
Reviews for Sweet Potato Minestrone
"I have made something very like this so tried it with these ingredients this time. We liked it but I used Kitchen Table's "unsalted" beef broth to cut down the sodium even more and to give it a little more body. I also added 1 t. of rosemary. We liked it a lot."
"I took this to a gathering and was it good, getting the rec. for a friend now. Yum"
"I thought this would be excellent using Tarragon ( a lemony flavor) instead of Italian spices. Use chicken broth for base."