Sweet Potato Minestrone Recipe
- 4 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium beef or vegetable broth
- 3 cups water
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 6 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 package (7 ounces) small pasta shells
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 1. In a soup kettle, combine the broth, water, sweet potatoes, onion, garlic and Italian seasoning; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- 2. Return to a boil. Add the cabbage, pasta and peas; cook for 8-10 minutes or until the pasta and vegetables are tender. Yield: 14 servings (about 3-1/2 quarts).
1 cup equals 127 calories, 1 g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 67 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 6 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1-1/2 starch.
Reviews for Sweet Potato Minestrone
"I have made something very like this so tried it with these ingredients this time. We liked it but I used Kitchen Table's "unsalted" beef broth to cut down the sodium even more and to give it a little more body. I also added 1 t. of rosemary. We liked it a lot."
"I took this to a gathering and was it good, getting the rec. for a friend now. Yum"
"I thought it was pretty good, but I have several other soup recipes that I like much better. It is a little more filling than regular vegetable soup. My husband likes vegetable soup, only with deer meat in it."
"I thought this would be excellent using Tarragon ( a lemony flavor) instead of Italian spices. Use chicken broth for base."
"I would use tarragon and chicken broth to make this soup."
"This is a very delicious dinner soup and one my family loves. This recipe is very easy to make as well, which brings smiles to all the faces at the dinner table. This is a keeper, for sure."