Sweet Potato Loaves Recipe
"My husband and I are missionaries in Brazil, where sweet potatoes are a staple food. I make this recipe often to share with the local people, and it is always a big hit," pens Joyce Randolph from her home base in Canton, Maine.
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold mashed sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1. In a small bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add egg; mix well. Combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger and salt; add to creamed mixture just until blended (batter will be thick). Combine sweet potatoes and milk; stir into batter until blended. Fold in raisins.
- 2. Transfer to two greased 5-3/4-in. x 3-in. x 2-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until lightly browned and a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 2 mini loaves.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 162 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 34 mg cholesterol, 176 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC