Sweet Potato Loaves Recipe
"My husband and I are missionaries in Brazil, where sweet potatoes are a staple food. I make this recipe often to share with the local people, and it is always a big hit," pens Joyce Randolph from her home base in Canton, Maine.
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold mashed sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 cup raisins
- In a small bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add egg; mix well. Combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger and salt; add to creamed mixture just until blended (batter will be thick). Combine sweet potatoes and milk; stir into batter until blended. Fold in raisins.
- Transfer to two greased 5-3/4-in. x 3-in. x 2-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until lightly browned and a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 2 mini loaves.
Originally published as Sweet Potato Loaves in Country Woman September/October 2003, p36
Reviews for Sweet Potato Loaves(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review