Sweet Potato Loaf Recipe
I enjoy making this bread because it lets me use sweet potatoes in something besides pie. I found the recipe in an old Southern cookbook, but changed a few things. The orange juice in the glaze adds a nice citrus flavor to the loves. —Ann Jovanovic Chicago, Illinois
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 cups mashed sweet potatoes
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup canola oil
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup raisins
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 4 to 5 teaspoons orange juice
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Whisk together the sweet potatoes, eggs and oil. Add sugar; whisk until smooth. Stir into dry ingredients just until combined. Fold in walnuts and raisins (batter will be thick). Transfer to two greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans.
- 2. Bake at 350 ° for 65-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes before removing to wire racks.
- 3. Meanwhile, for glaze, combine the confectioners' sugar, orange peel and enough orange juice to achieve desired consistency. Spread over warm loaves; sprinkle with walnuts. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
1 serving (1 slice) equals 279 calories, 10 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 138 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
Reviews for Sweet Potato Loaf
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC