I enjoy making this bread because it lets me use sweet potatoes in something besides pie. I found the recipe in an old Southern cookbook, but changed a few things. The orange juice in the glaze adds a nice citrus flavor to the loves. —Ann Jovanovic Chicago, Illinois
Recommended: 31 Easy Quick Bread Recipes
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 cups mashed sweet potatoes
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup canola oil
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup raisins
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 4 to 5 teaspoons orange juice
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Whisk together the sweet potatoes, eggs and oil. Add sugar; whisk until smooth. Stir into dry ingredients just until combined. Fold in walnuts and raisins (batter will be thick). Transfer to two greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans.
- Bake at 350 ° for 65-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes before removing to wire racks.
- Meanwhile, for glaze, combine the confectioners' sugar, orange peel and enough orange juice to achieve desired consistency. Spread over warm loaves; sprinkle with walnuts. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
Originally published as Sweet Potato Bread in Quick Cooking March/April 2005, p31
Reviews for Sweet Potato Loaf
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 10, 2010
"I used the glaze for another sweet potato bread recipe and the glaze made such a difference! I got a lot of compliments!"